Saturday, November 25, 2006

Leila 5F1 Cutom Tweed Champ

My first build. It's a copy of a late 50's narrow-panel Fender Champ amplifier.


The stock circuit uses 1 12AX7 preamp tube, 1 6V6 power tube, 1 5Y3 rectifier tube, and 1 8" speaker to produce about 5 watts of power.















I upgraded the transformers a bit so the amp can

handle running different power tubes like a 6L6. My favorite combination so far is an Electro-Harmonix 12AX7, Sovtek 6L6, and a Weber copper cap. The 6L6 produces a more even tone to my ears and the Weber copper cap helps keep the power transformer running cool.


I used a Weber cabinet, chassis, and a Weber alnico speaker. The cab is tinted with shellac and lacquer. Other parts include Hammond transformers, Switchcraft jacks, carbon comp resistors, and Sprague Orange Drop capacitors.


The sound is great. I usually played blackface Fenders in the past. This amp converted me to a tweed guy. The tone is midrange heavy, round, and thick. It is a great home amp with natural overdrive at reasonable levels. I believe that there is a place for this type of amp in every guitarist's set up and highly recommend obtaining one if you haven't already.